NVivo allows users to import a wide assortment of file types and even allows users to scrape web pages for content. Most file types can be imported using a standard file upload wizard used in many computing situations. In some cases, such as with Evernote and Qualtrics, users will be required to sign into their respective accounts to import materials stored in those software applications.
Below is a list of the various file types that may be imported into NVivo. Clicking the link will open further documentation from the NVivo developers.
Importable File Types:
NVivo also has a tool for capturing content directly from the web using the NCapture plugin. NCapture has been optimally designed for importing social media content into the NVivo application.
To Use NCapture:
1. Click to download the NCapture plugin for Google Chrome
2. Navigate to the content you wish to capture.
3. Click on the NCapture plugin button and save the content in your preferred file format.
To Import the .nvcx to Your Project:
1. Open your project and select the Import tab at the top of the window.
2. Select NCapture near the top-left (denoted by the NCapture symbol) .
3. Select the files you wish to import by checking the box on the left and then select the import button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
For a more comprehensive tutorial on how to install the NCapture plugin, click here.